Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dilemma - Surprise party or baseball?


On Saturday I was faced with a situation in which I'm sure many sports fans encounter. Do I watch the rest of my game or attend the surprise party I promised I'd go to? Let me set up the situation...

The White Sox were playing the Baltimore Orioles Saturday and was one of the few chances I get annually to watch my beloved Sox on TV. The problem was, that my wife made plans to invite some friends over for light appetizers before heading to a surprise party for one of our friends. People were coming over at 7:00 p.m., and the game started at 7:00 p.m. Decisions decisions. Well marriage is all about compromise, right? I agreed to prepare the appetizers, so long as I could watch the game. The catch? It had to be on silent. I think that was a fair trade. As our friends began to arrive, I donned my White Sox jersey, put on some music, and the White Sox game. No one was watching the game except for me, and that's fine. I watch for my own personal experiences. It would be enjoyable to watch with other fans, but I'll take what I can get.

Watching games, whether alone or with friends, provides a release for me. I don't have to think about much, just watching the teams I love. Sometimes it takes me back to my childhood, watching games with my dad and I realize those can be the memories I really cherish. It wasn't about the team we were watching, it was about the bond we shared. Being a long distance fan doesn't always allow for me to form that bond with many people, but it makes it all the more special when I do. I found a fellow Chicago fan that lives right down the street. Ironically, he was even from the same town I'm from. There was an immediate bond, and sports serve as the catalyst for our friendship.

I'm sure all long distance fans can relate. It seems as though you could go your whole day without noticing someone walking down the street, but if you bump into someone wearing the same team as you, there is an immediate recognition and a tip of the cap. If you run into them at the bar, there almost is an immediate friendship. Sports serves as more than just entertainment. It can create the glue that can bond a friendship for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment